The University District Community Association strives to maintain and support the integrity of the neighborhood, provide communication of events and issues to its residents, promote a quality education in our local school while maintaining health, safety and happiness in a family friendly diverse community. Our Location
The University District is located east of Livernois Avenue and west of Parkside St, between Seven Mile and McNichols (6 Mile Rd).
The University District was established as a residential community in the mid 1920s. The district was part of the largest tract of land in the area known as the “Golf Club” district. Father John McNichols, of the Jesuit Order, relocated the University of Detroit to the corner of McNichols (then known as Palmer Boulevard) and Livernois. The residential area adjacent to the University became known as the “University District.”Most of the 1400 homes in the area were built in the 1920s and 30s during the “Golden Age of Housing.” Structural integrity, architectural detail, the caliber of workmanship and quality materials are all hallmarks of that era.